The Public Safety Committee seeks to make Buckhead and the City of Atlanta safer by:
- Promoting awareness among our members and the community regarding public safety issues and solutions;
- Providing support and encouragement for Buckhead’s public safety officers; and
- Partnering with various stakeholders to encourage collaborative ideas and efforts that will yield tangible results.
Current Initiatives of the Public Safety Committee include:
- Develop and raise funds to support the Buckhead Security Plan in coordination with the Atlanta Police Foundation.
- Articulate and advocate for key public safety platform talking points for Atlanta Mayoral and City council candidates as follows:
- As recruitment of police officers advances with due urgency, achieve proportionately fair staffing levels within Zone 2 of the Atlanta Police Department.
- Conduct more aggressive policing, criminal prosecution and sentencing of individuals illegally possessing firearms and/or committing gun-related crimes.
- Begin rigorous policing of nuisance properties using the tools that the city already has in the alcohol code to enforce the law.
- Work with Fulton County to ensure that their courts are open and effectively prosecuting offenders who too often return to repeat their offences.
- Resolve the impasse with Fulton County regarding the Fulton County Jail and the Atlanta City Detention Center.
- Eliminate aggressive water/beverage sales and street racing by using new tactics.